Monday, April 23, 2012

"Whoever loves the more is at a disadvantage and must suffer..."*

Oh, I'm not talking about unrequited love. Nothing as banal or as profound as that, but something more trivial like a purchase of something that we cannot afford. 

I was thinking about this today as I looked at my latest credit card bill and realized that I haven't really bought a lot of stuff the past month and congratulated myself of not giving in to a shopping spree at H&M while I was in Singapore. 

Well, I have "suffered" a little when said the said urge to buy all those nice clothes weren't given in to, but it only happened for about a week. Ok, two weeks. Said suffering occurred again when I realized that the dress that I've been salivating over in the store's Great Britain shops have finally found their way to Singapore just when I have left the country. And then there was the sale that, again, happened when I was already several thousand miles away from the Lion City.


This was the dress, btw. It came in several colors and I would've made a "uniform" out it.
Photo from H&M.

Now that I look at my credit card bill, though, I guess I'm slightly glad that I wasn't in Singapore anymore during the sale. Oh, who am I kidding? I've lost sleep over this! I envy the girls who've bought this out on a whim and just have it hanging on her closet because she just way too many purchases that she can't really find time to wear it. Or, she realized that the color doesn't really suit her.

*Thomas Mann, "Tonio Kroger"