Monday, April 23, 2012

"Good days, they just come around the corner."*

One of the reasons we travel is that we want to leave something behind, hoping that it would not follow us in our journey.  And in leaving something behind, we try to find something new to take its place.


Well, that's what I tried to do when I went to Singapore (yes, I'm still talking about forgetting that person).  I didn't that "something" though, but I did find other things that somehow made me a little happier: food. Sumptuous Singapore food.

There's nothing wrong with staying at a backpacker hotel in Singapore as I found out when I last went there. Here's the simple, but truly satisfying breakfast of fruits, toast, jam, and coffee I had at the place I stayed in.

The best Chicken Pie I've ever tasted comes from a Food Opera stall at Marina Bay Sands.   It is best enjoyed with a cup of brewed coffee.

Don't forget to try the chili dip with your fries or chicken nuggets when you're visiting the Lion City.

A visit t Singapore wouldn't be complete without trying the Kaya Toast, which usually comes served with two soft-boiled eggs and kopi. I didn't know what to do with the eggs at first, so I watched the locals crack them up and season them. Some dipped their breads into it, others just sipped it from the bowl!

Forgot what this bread is called. It's like pita with a sweet and spicy filling.  A Singaporean friend got this from a local bakery in Bedok.

Yummy Pancake Ice Cream from Osaka Town at Raffles City Mall

Cap off your dinner at Clark quay with a cone of Hokkaido Ice Cream.  The Green Mint and Salted Caramel flavors are a must-try.

I have been to Singapore several times, but it was only during my recent trip that I got to travel alone.  I got lost several times, I tell you, almost every day in fact.  But in getting lost, I found so many things that brought me joy, even for just a brief period of time.

*Colum McCann, "Let The Great World Spin"